Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays - June 9

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.  Anyone can play along!  Here's how it works:
- Grab your current read 
- open to a random page
- share two teaser sentences from somewhere on that page (avoid spoilers!)
- be sure to include the title and author, so other TT participants can add the book to their tbr list if they like your teaser

My teaser:

" It was a long journey across the Atlantic, she knew, at least a week on a ship, and it must be expensive.  She had a sense too, she did not know from where, that, while boys and girls from the town who had gone to England did ordinary work for ordinary money, people who went to America would become rich."   page 26

by Colm Toibin

17 comments:

  1. The good old American dream. Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book, but your certainly have teased me this morning. I'll have to look this one up. I hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the streets are paved with gold! Sounds like a good book. My teaser is here
    It's a funny one this week taken from Dixie Divas

    Have a great week and enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting teaser, not a book I'm familiar with. Hope you're enjoying it.
    Here's my Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great teaser. I loved The master and I am looking forward to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like this one, is it a feel good book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a neat book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic teaser! I suspect she shall find out it is not really true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teaser. I can't wait to get to this book. I really like the cover too. My teaser is here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I go to America too?... Nice teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarie and Gautami - Yes, a twist on the American dream.

    Lisa - I've enjoyed the book quite a lot!

    Kaye - LOL! She doesn't exactly find gold in the streets though.

    Teddyree - I am enjoying it and will read more by this author!

    Fleurfisher - The Master is on my list!

    Zetor - Not quite a feel good book. I was quite worried about her at times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mommablogsalot - It is...and I'll be recommending this one to my friends.

    Jenners - You're absolutely right! She finds out pretty quickly that not everyone in America is rich!

    Dar - I think you'll really like it.

    Alice - LOL!

    Jacqueline - It's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This passage evokes the image of the Statue of Liberty. Lovely writing - I'll be looking for this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ravenousreader- It is beautiful writing..and the entire book is filled with passages like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds interesting and I like the photo on the cover. I'm a sucker for old photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails