Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tuesday Intro: Shelter by Jung Yun

The boy is standing in the doorway again. He's smiling, which hardly seems right. A smile means he's not sick. He didn't have a bad dream. He didn't wet the bed. None of the things he usually says when he enters the room uninvited. Kyung nudges his wife, who turns over with a grunt, face-first into her pillow. He sighs and sits up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.
"What's wrong?" he asks. "What's the matter?"
Ethan, still smiling, takes a step forward, holding a remote control in his outstretched palm.  "Battery," he says, pronouncing the word "buttery."
Shelter
by Jung Yun

You can tell this will be a family story from the first few paragraphs, but the primary focus may not be on this family unit. The relationship between Kyung and his parents, who live nearby, will take center stage, at least according to the blurb. The first twenty pages are quite dramatic and there's no question as to whether or not I'll continue... I'm already hooked!

Here is the summary from Goodreads:
Kyung Cho is a young father burdened by a house he can’t afford. For years, he and his wife, Gillian, have lived beyond their means. Now their debts and bad decisions are catching up with them, and Kyung is anxious for his family’s future. 
A few miles away, his parents, Jin and Mae, live in the town’s most exclusive neighborhood, surrounded by the material comforts that Kyung desires for his wife and son. Growing up, they gave him every possible advantage—private tutors, expensive hobbies—but they never showed him kindness. Kyung can hardly bear to see them now, much less ask for their help. Yet when an act of violence leaves Jin and Mae unable to live on their own, the dynamic suddenly changes, and he’s compelled to take them in. For the first time in years, the Chos find themselves living under the same roof. Tensions quickly mount as Kyung’s proximity to his parents forces old feelings of guilt and anger to the surface, along with a terrible and persistent question: how can he ever be a good husband, father, and son when he never knew affection as a child? 
As Shelter veers swiftly toward its startling conclusion, Jung Yun leads us through dark and violent territory, where, unexpectedly, the Chos discover hope. Shelter is a masterfully crafted debut novel that asks what it means to provide for one's family and, in answer, delivers a story as riveting as it is profound. 
What do you think? Would you continue reading?


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

37 comments:

  1. Yes, this sounds very interesting to me. BTW, off the subject, I keep seeing articles about Bon Iver all of the sudden (who I never would have known existed but for Shotgun Lovesongs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - Love it when those kinds of things pop up! My daughter recently listened to Shotgun Lovesongs and she loved it, too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, keep reading! Keep reading! This is on my TBR list to read sometime this year because the praise has been through the roof from some trusted bloggers. I hope its everything you (and I) hope it will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - It was just nominated for The Center for Fiction's First Novel Prize, too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane... you're one of those 'trusted bloggers' ;-)

      Delete
  4. I loved this book, too! It was such a great mix of literary and thriller and it kept me guessing the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon - I think I first heard about this book from you!

      Delete
  5. Yeah I plan to read this one too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - Thought I'd have to wait on t the hold list a lot longer!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Definitely one I need to read. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I think this sounds like your kind of book, too!

      Delete
  7. I think I would continue, and I like that cover- the rain streaked view really sets a tone. Looks like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - I love it when covers add meaning or help set the tone.

      Delete
  8. Yes! I haven't heard of this one yet but love a good family drama and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish - I have high hopes for this book. It's off to a strong start.

      Delete
  9. I have this one on my shelf. Definitely looking forward to reading it as I've heard a lot of good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - Lucky you to have it waiting when you're ready!

      Delete
  10. I want to keep reading. Its completely new to me but sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I've seen a couple of rave reviews and just had to give it a try!

      Delete
  11. I'm definitely interested that opening paragraph had a good tone to it and the synopsis makes me even more keen to read this book - I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo - It was just long-listed for The Center for Fiction's First Novel Prize yesterday!

      Delete
  12. Would keep reading. Looks like a good one. Hope you enjoy it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that cover. This sounds really interesting, JoAnn. It sounds like an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - I think this will be pretty emotional. We'll see...

      Delete
  14. This one's on my list. Sounds intriguing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked this intro and the story sounds fascinating. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma - It's getting better and better the more I read!

      Delete
  16. Gosh, between the good beginning and everyone's praise, it sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails