Tuesday, November 15, 2016

My Current Read: Sisters in Law by Linda Hirshman

Introduction, Ruffled Collars 
By the time the nation celebrates the birth of its democracy each Fourth of July, the nine justices of the Supreme Court have mostly left town. But before departing the capital for their summer recess, they must first decide all the cases they have heard since their current term began the previous October. The hardest, most controversial cases, where the unelected Court orders the society to change in a big way, are often left to the end. As the days for decision tick away in late June, the temperature in the courtroom is as hot and heavy as the Washington summer air. 
On the morning of June 26, 1996, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the second woman appointed to the high court since its founding, slipped through the red velvet curtain behind the bench and took her seat at the end. Five places along the majestic curve sat Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, since 1981 the first woman on the Supreme Court, or the FWOTSC as she slyly called herself. Each woman justice sported an ornamental white collar on her somber black robe, but otherwise there was no obvious link between the First and Second, any more than between any of the other justices. On that day however, the public got a rare glimpse at the ties that bound the two most powerful women in the land.
Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World
by Linda Hirshman


What are your currently reading?
I'm currently reading Sisters in Law by Linda Hirshman.

How did you find out about this book?
I noticed it on the new nonfiction shelf at the library last winter and, after taking a closer look, added it to my wish list.

Why are you reading it now?
It's Nonfiction November... and, in light of the recent election, current interest in the Supreme Court is high.

First impressions?
Hirshman has done her research. The book is well-written, informative, and most importantly, not too dry.

Which character do you relate to so far?
RBG has become something of a cult hero, but both women are pretty amazing. Their lives and approach to the law could not be more different.

Are you happy to continue?
Yes. I'm enjoying this book as a read/listen combination.

Where do you think the story will go?
Since it's nonfiction we already know where the story goes, but I'm picking up lots of interesting information along the way.

Click here for more information, including the goodreads summary.


Tuesday Intro is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea.
Brona's Salon is hosted by Brona at Brona's Books.

34 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I haven't read non-fiction in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I'm enjoying all nonfiction this month. Don't think I've ever done that before!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Audrey - I've read about RBG, but never this much about Sandra Day O'Connor... the audio is good, too!

      Delete
  3. This one sounds very intriguing, and I'm all for women on the Supreme Court, and want to know more about them.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - This is very good so far. I'd like to read more about the other women on the Court, too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fascinating true-life story. Because it isn't "too dry," I'll read it.
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra - I'm put off by dry biographies and nonfiction, but this is interesting. Listening to part of it helps, too.

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I"ve been wanting to read this! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hooked on NF lately and just finished RBG's new bio; I'd add this to my TBR as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - RBG is so interesting, but I didn't know much about O'Connor. They both arrived at the Court through very different paths!

      Delete
  7. I've read some interesting books on the supreme court. I'd probably like this one. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paulita - I'm fascinated by the Supreme Court. Jeffrey Toobin's The Nine is another excellent book on the subject.

      Delete
  8. My knowledge of the US Supreme Court has been limited to shows like The West Wing (which is now beginning to look like a fantasy series!!)
    I was always surprised by how political the appointments were and how our laws are just as susceptible to interpretation and influence as any other area of public life.

    I hope you enjoy the rest of your read/listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brona - I've been fascinated by the Supreme Court for years. Enjoying the contrast between the first two female justice's paths to the highest court. Would love to read more about the other women, too.

      Delete
  9. I read this earlier this year and liked it a lot. Stay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I'm liking it, too, and both seem like such strong, capable women. Timely subject matter, too.

      Delete
  10. Ugh, pc is still messed up so I don't know if my previous long comment went through.. if so, you can delete this...

    Briefly then, I heard about this book from your blog- I believe- a couple of weeks ago and told my son to try to pick it up. If he does, I'll read it since you said it's not too dry. He met and had lunch with Justice Sonia Sotomayor when she visited his campus 2 years ago and has a framed photo above his desk of him/her. He also recommends her memoir. So I'm sure he would enjoy this one, and I might too-- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita - How wonderful that your son got to meet Sonia Sotomayor! I've got her memoir on my wish list. Let me know what you (or your son) thinks if either of you decide to read this one. I'm just over a third of the way through now.

      Delete
  11. JoAnn, I hardly ever read non-fiction, shame on me, but I don't think this would interest me right now. Nothing the least bit political please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paggy - I totally understand anyone wanting to avoid politics and political subjects these days!

      Delete
  12. Sounds very interesting, and a timely read with a new appointee in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - Yes, at least one and the possibility of several more...

      Delete
  13. I'm adding this to the list! It sounds great and I love that both women are featured here. They're so very different and amazing in their own right and I'm fascinated by them both. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katharine - If nothing else, this books emphasizes that there is more than one way to reach a goal. And you're right, they'e both so different and amazing!

      Delete
  14. I must say I really like this format for introducing the book to us and I do like the sound of this one - as you say reading non-fiction is slightly different as you know the overall events but the fun is in the detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo - Thank you! I like this format, too. It's more than just an intro quote and hopefully a little more helpful in deciding whether it belongs on you wish list.

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a book that I may enjoy. I like the set up for this Tuesday Intro. I feel like I got a lot of info in those few questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toady - I really like this format, too. Hopefully it gives enough information for you to decide whether or not the book belongs on your wish list :)

      Delete
  16. I noticed this on the shelf the other day and thought it might be a good read for nonfiction November. However, I'm failing terribly with my goal to read a lot of nonfiction this month. I'm still reading my current novel and have stalled with my audio (Just Mercy). Just can't seem to concentrate on books right now. Maybe I'll try again after the holidays. I will keep this one in mind, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I am especially liking the audio version, but that's how I consume most nonfiction this days. My reading and listening has slowed down since the election, and its always tough during the holidays. I'm throwing all expectations out the window and just trying to enjoying whatever books strike my moods for the rest of the year.

      Delete
  17. I'm enjoying my bout of non-fiction reading too! Slow-going though it is. I'm not familiar with this history and background of this book and its people, but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Risa - Just finished the book today. It's an excellency dual biography of the first two women on the US Supreme Court.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails